Re: Connector: Filesystem Events Connector

From: yang . y . yi
Date: Fri Mar 24 2006 - 09:01:22 EST

On 3/24/06, Evgeniy Polyakov <johnpol@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 01:42:17AM -0800, Matt Helsley (matthltc@xxxxxxxxxx)
> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 11:11 +0300, Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:

> us

> > > Doesn't it just exceed the limit by one event per cpu?
> >
> > The example exceeds it by one at the time of the final store. Thanks to
> > the fact that the value is then 1001 it may shortly be exceeded by much
> > more than 1.
>
> +
> + if (jiffies - last <= fsevent_ratelimit) {
> + if (fsevent_sum > fsevent_burst_limit)
> + return -2;
> + fsevent_sum++;
>
> Only process (and not process' syscall) can preempt us here,
> so fsevent_sum can only exceed fsevent_burst_limit by one per process
> (process can not preempt itself, so when it has finished syscall which
> ends up in event generation, fsevent_sum will be increased).
>
> + } else {
> + last = jiffies;
> + fsevent_sum = 0;
> + }
>
> Actually, since jiffies and atomic operations are already used, I do not
> think addition of new atomic_inc_return or something similar will
> even somehow change the picture.
rate limit is just for some abnormal cases, for example, an
application leads to a unlimited event loop, it should be very few, in
the worst case, the user application which induced this case will
terminate, this should be a reasonable result.
rate limit is intent to prevent this kind of case and avoid DoS of system.