Re: [RFC] Virtualization steps

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Fri Mar 24 2006 - 14:24:14 EST

Kirill Korotaev <dev@xxxxx> writes:

> Eric, Herbert,
>
> I think it is quite clear, that without some agreement on all these
> virtualization issues, we won't be able to commit anything good to
> mainstream. My idea is to gather our efforts to get consensus on most clean
> parts of code first and commit them one by one.
>
> The proposal is quite simple. We have 4 parties in this conversation (maybe
> more?): IBM guys, OpenVZ, VServer and Eric Biederman. We discuss the areas which
> should be considered step by step. Send patches for each area, discuss, come to
> some agreement and all 4 parties Sign-Off the patch. After that it goes to
> Andrew/Linus. Worth trying?

Yes, this sounds like a path forward that has a reasonable chance of
making progress.

> So far, (correct me if I'm wrong) we concluded that some people don't want
> containers as a whole, but want some subsystem namespaces. I suppose for people
> who care about containers only it doesn't matter, so we can proceed with
> namespaces, yeah?

Yes, I think at one point I have seen all of the major parties receptive
to the concept.

> So the most easy namespaces to discuss I see:
> - utsname
> - sys IPC
> - network virtualization
> - netfilter virtualization

The networking is hard simply because the is so very much of it, and it
is being active developed :)

> all these were discussed already somehow and looks like there is no fundamental
> differencies in our approaches (at least OpenVZ and Eric, for sure).

Yes. I think we agree on what the semantics should be for these parts.
Which should avoid the problem with have with the pid namespace.

> Right now, I suggest to concentrate on first 2 namespaces - utsname and
> sysvipc. They are small enough and easy. Lets consider them without sysctl/proc
> issues, as those can be resolved later. I sent the patches for these 2
> namespaces to all of you. I really hope for some _good_ critics, so we could
> work it out quickly.

Sounds like a plan.

Eric