Re: [patch 00/10] PI-futex: -V1

From: hui
Date: Sun Mar 26 2006 - 00:13:09 EST

On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 07:45:28PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> We are pleased to announce "lightweight userspace priority inheritance"
> (PI) support for futexes. The following patchset and glibc patch
> implements it, ontop of the robust-futexes patchset which is included in
> 2.6.16-mm1.
> Priority Inheritance - why, oh why???
> -------------------------------------
> The longer reply:

[comments on app usages of priority inheritance deleted]

You'll need to do priority ceiling emulation as well. I've been using that in an
application as a manual means of preventing preemption of key critical sections,
like a spinlock/preempt_disable(), to prevent priority inversion from happening.
Raising the priority of threads using that lock/critical section is a pretty
effective means of partitioning program logical sections of the application into
threads that are higher and lower priority than the resource. It's cool stuff.

bill