[OT] Non-GCC compilers used for linux userspace

From: Kyle Moffett
Date: Tue Mar 28 2006 - 10:54:53 EST

On Mar 28, 2006, at 09:20:09, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
Eh, not really. "__inline__" is GCC-specific and probably won't work in other compilers (unless you did "#define __inline__", which would bloat the code a lot).

But ___inline is a C99 keyword, is not it?

Not even GCC fully supports C99 (although I think it does support that keyword when passed -std=c99 or -std=gnu99), and I suspect that a majority of the other compilers for which we would want to add support in the kernel headers would not support C99 or would do a poor job of handling inline functions.

But my question still stands. Does anybody actually use any non-GCC compiler for userspace in Linux?

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett