Re: AMD64 overclock issue with 2.6.16 but not with 2.6.15

From: JimD
Date: Wed Mar 29 2006 - 15:09:23 EST

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 20:54:09 +0100
Alistair John Strachan <s0348365@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> At a guess, it sounds like you're trying to use cpufreq on an
> overclocked CPU, a definitely no-no. Check your config for this
> option, remove it if desired.

mnt/sda/usr/src/linux-2.6.15-gentoo-r7
jim@keelie$ grep -i cpufreq .config
# CPUFreq processor drivers
CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=y
CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ_PROC_INTF=y

/mnt/sda/usr/src/linux-2.6.16-gentoo
jim@keelie$ grep -i cpufreq .config
# CPUFreq processor drivers
CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=y
CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ_PROC_INTF=y

If I boot into 2.6.15 /proc/cpuinfo show the correct info and the AMD
cool-n-quite thingy is working real well. It put the processor at 1100
MHz or instantly ramps up to 2200 MHz. If I boot into 2.6.16, the AMD
cool-n-quite thingy works, but now the processor goes down to 1000 MHz
or 2000 MHz.

I will recompile 2.6.16 without cpufreq and see if that help.

Jim