Re: ALPS stop worked between 2.6.13 and 2.6.16

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Thu Mar 30 2006 - 08:40:03 EST

On 3/30/06, Romano Giannetti <romanol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 11:55:03AM -0500, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> > On 3/29/06, Romano Giannetti <romanol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > but then nothing happened, no devices etc. So evidently the new udev is
> > > unable to cope with the old and maybe buggy Mandriva 2005 configuration[1].
> > > I unfortunately have no time to desentangle the dependency mess, so it's
> > > time to stop testing new kernels... unless anyone can point me to a "howto".
> > >

> > I am sorry to hear that. You might want to check on the hotplug list,
> > maybe someone there could offer you some guidance. To tell you the
> > truth I am still running with static /dev...
> >

> Well, if you can hint a "mknod" I can add to my rc scripts to have the ALPS
> touchpad working with the old udev, I wouldn't mind sticking it in my
> system. I have /dev/psaux created ok, but then it seems that the synapctics
> drivers seraches for a /dev/input/event? which do not exists. It is possible
> to have a static entry "working everytime" (I mean, booting with/without
> external mouse, with/withour external keypad etc.)? If so I paint myself
> happy.

Yes, you need to create /dev/input/event0 to /dev/input/event31:

mknod /dev/input/event0 c 13 64
mknod /dev/input/event1 c 13 65
mknod /dev/input/event2 c 13 66
mknod /dev/input/event3 c 13 67
mknod /dev/input/event31 c 13 95

> Romano
>
> PD: totally unrelated. I was toying with the idea of trasforming a IR remote
> control in a "keyboard". I think there is a way to create a userspace input
> device and then feeding back the "keypresses" to the kernel... can you point
> me to more info on this? Thanks!

You need uinput driver (drivers/input/misc/uinput.c). Alternatively
you might want to change your IR driver to be able to change keycodes
it emits (you need to properly set up dev->keytable and
dev->keytablesize) abnd then you can use EVIOCSKEYCODE ioctl on
corresponding even device to change mapping.

--
Dmitry