Re: [RFC] sched.c : procfs tunables

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Mon Apr 03 2006 - 08:22:42 EST

On Monday 03 April 2006 21:59, Al Boldi wrote:
> Con Kolivas wrote:
> > None of the current "tunables" have easily understandable heuristics.
> > Even those that appear to be obvious, like timselice, are not. While
> > exporting tunables is not a bad idea, exporting tunables that noone
> > understands is not really helpful.
>
> Couldn't this be fixed with an autotuning module based on cpu/mem/ctxt
> performance?

You're assuming there is some meaningful relationship between changes in
cpu/mem/ctxt performance and these tunables, which isn't the case.
Furthermore if this was the case, noone understands it, can predict it or
know how to tune it. Just saying "autotune it" doesn't really tell us how
exactly the change those tunables in relation to the other variables. Since
Mike and I understand them reasonably well I think we'd both agree that there
is no meaningful association.

Cheers,
Con