Re: 2.6.16-rt10

From: Simon Derr
Date: Tue Apr 04 2006 - 08:05:05 EST

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Simon Derr <simon.derr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> >
> > > i've released -rt10
> >
> > Is anyone working on a port of this patch to the IA64 architecture ?
>
> not that i know of. If someone wants to do that, take a look at the
> x86_64 changes (or ppc/mips/i386 changes) to get an idea. These are the
> rough steps needed:
> [snip]

Work in progress... (based on -rt11)
So far I have a kernel that almost boots, but not quite.

First issue: 'BUG: udev:45 task might have lost a preemption check!'

When looking at the code in preempt_enable_no_resched(), why is the value
of preempt_count() checked to be non-zero _after_ calling
dec_preempt_count() ?

I saw several posts on this list claiming that this message is harmless,
but I'd like to figure what's going on.

My boot process is stuck later when insmod loads the driver for the MPT
Fusion SCSI adapter. It's waiting for a second interrupt to arrive, and
that never happens.

I see that the -rt patch touches many drivers by changing calls to
local_irq_save (and friends), changing the type of the semaphores, but the
MPT driver makes no use of these.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Simon.