Re: blade servers?

From: Wes Felter
Date: Tue Apr 04 2006 - 15:57:22 EST

Larry McVoy wrote:
I figured that people here would know. If you were looking for blade
servers and you were more interested in cost and heat generation than the
most performance, what would you buy?

Consider systems based on the "Sossaman" Xeon LV processor; it has good integer performance and low power.

For example, at IBM we just released a new model of the BladeCenter HS20 (model 7981); I've seen one of these servers using only 100W when running. Real servers are never going to be as cheap as the cheapest whiteboxes, but they do run cool.

Wes Felter - wesley@xxxxxxxxxx