Re: Q on audit, audit-syscall

From: Kyle Moffett
Date: Wed Apr 05 2006 - 10:18:05 EST

On Apr 5, 2006, at 09:50:17, Herbert Rosmanith wrote:
On Apr 5, 2006, at 08:06:30, Herbert Rosmanith wrote:
as I said, "ptrace" is not an option.

Why not, exactly? (No, we don't know why).

according to the man-page:

RETURN VALUES
EPERM The specified process [...] is already being traced.

this makes it unusable for me.

Please stop being unclear and describe _exactly_ what you want to do; otherwise it's impossible to help you. You want to trace and intercept syscalls, no? It implicitly doesn't make any sense to try to trace and intercept syscalls from one process in more than one other.

ptrace is _the_ Linux mechanism to trace and intercept syscalls. There is no other way.
"there is no other way": [1,2,3,4]

[1] http://www.uniforum.chi.il.us/slides/HardeningLinux/LAuS- Design.pdf
[2] http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/als01/ full_papers/edwards/edwards.pdf
[3] http://www.citi.umich.edu/u/provos/papers/systrace.pdf
[4] http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/papers/freenix01.pdf

It looks like you solved your own problem, then! Feel free to use any one of those. The only commonly-available mainline mechanism to _trace_ and _intercept_ syscalls is ptrace. If you happen to be looking for how to implement extra process security checks, might I suggest looking at Linux Security Modules? On the other hand, I think LSMs may never even see some requests if they fail access- restrictions before calling into the LSM. I believe there's documentation on them in the linux/Documentation dir of your copies of the linux sources.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett