Re: fs/binfmt_elf.c:maydump()

From: Daniel Jacobowitz
Date: Fri Apr 07 2006 - 14:02:53 EST

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 10:18:07PM -0700, David S. Miller wrote:
> How about something like the following patch? If it's executable
> and not written to, skip it. This would skip the main executable
> image and all text segments of the shared libraries mapped in.

Will this dump text segments that have been COW'd for the purposes of
inserting a breakpoint?

It's just a question of goals, I guess. We could dump code, but it's
rarely useful, so historically we didn't. Similarly, we could dump
mapped data from shared memory, but it can be huge and is rarely
useful, so generally we don't.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery