Re: RT task scheduling

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sat Apr 08 2006 - 03:28:46 EST

* Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> * Bill Huey <billh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I'm quite aware of what you're saying as well as a much of the
> > contents of the -rt patch. Please don't assume that I'm not aware of
> > this. The -rt patch doesn't do SWSRPS, [...]
>
> to the contrary, the "RT overload" code in the -rt tree does strict,
> system-wide RT priority scheduling. That's the whole point of it.

so after this "clarification of terminology" i hope you are in picture
now, so could you please explain to me what you meant by:

> > You should consider for a moment to allow for the binding of a
> > thread to a CPU to determine the behavior of a SCHED_FIFO class task
> > instead of creating a new run category. [...]

to me it still makes no sense, and much of the followups were based on
this. Or were you simply confused about what the scheduling code in -rt
does precisely? Did that get clarified now?

Ingo