Re: 40% IDE performance regression going from FC3 to FC5 with same kernel

From: Alessandro Suardi
Date: Sat Apr 08 2006 - 13:12:27 EST

On 4/8/06, Arjan van de Ven <arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > what happens if you kill hald and other inotify using animals?
> >
> > Thanks Arjan for looking into this.
> >
> > Stopping hald brings hdparm from 18.5MB/s to 20MB/s, which is
> > indeed a noticeable improvement, though still far from the FC3
> > performance. I'm unsure what else can be stopped however
> > from this process list:
> >
> > 274 ? S<s 0:00 /sbin/udevd -d
>

> try killing that one next; it may or may not help but it's sure worth a
> try (esp given the success of the first kill :)

killing udevd doesn't bring any improvement - still at 20MB/s.

Do you want me to file a FC5 bugzilla entry with the current info
or do you think there is something else that can be discussed
on lkml ?

Thanks,

--alessandro

"Dreamer ? Each one of us is a dreamer. We just push it down deep because
we are repeatedly told that we are not allowed to dream in real life"
(Reinhold Ziegler)