Re: [RFC] Virtualization steps

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Tue Apr 11 2006 - 10:15:58 EST

Kirill Korotaev wrote:
Yes... about that; if/when namespaces get into the kernel, you guys
are going to start pushing all sorts of per-container resource
control, right? Or will you be happy to leave most of that to VMs?

Nick, OpenVZ, for example, uses "User Bean Counters" patch originally developed by Alan Cox. The good thing is that it is fully separate from virtualization and allows to control any users or set of processes. Don't you think it is valuable and helpful feature itself? Why are you afraid of resource management?

I'm afraid of resource management because I've seen things like the
ckrm cpu resource manager.

Considering we tend to mostly have only per-process resource management,
low level virtualisation seems like a much better place to do this.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.