Binary sysfs blobs

From: Pete Zaitcev
Date: Tue Apr 11 2006 - 14:09:01 EST

Hi, Greg:

I was reviewing some patches here and noticed (yes, only now noticed) that
we have operations on binary blobs in fs/sysfs/bin.c. I thought it wasn't
part of the deal for sysfs, with one value per file and so on. I suppose
it's too late to debate now, but I have a couple of questions:

- Do you know of any conventions which allow to determine which file
is binary? Maybe the name starting with an underscore or something?

- Is there a standing policy that reading from a sysfs file is not
altering a state of the corresponding hardware? This is not related
to blobs directly, but with people passing structs now, it's tempting
to implement some extended protocols. I am concerned of stealing
network packets by accident or something.

Greetings,
-- Pete