Re: [RFC/PATCH] remove unneeded check in bcm43xx

From: David S. Miller
Date: Tue Apr 11 2006 - 17:34:29 EST

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 06:49:00 +1000

> I would tend to agree... except that the broadcom is _the_ wireless
> card shipped by Apple with all of their machines for the last few
> years, and thus, the problem will be hit by pretty much any G5 user
> trying to use theirs...
>
> I don't have another idea on how to fix that at hand... a dma mask
> limit in the iommu layer is fairly easy to implement with our iommu
> implementation (though it wouldn't work on pseries where ranges are
> allocated per slot, but it would work fine on a g5). Still sounds
> better than introducing a ZONE_DMA separate from ZONE_NORMAL ...

I still think we shouldn't reward shit hardware by complicating
up our DMA mappings internals. :-)

If you're going to do it anyways, we use a nearly identical
allocation bitmap algorithm under sparc64 so maybe you can
take a stab at trying to put your code there too. I'm more
than happy to test and integrate.

Thanks.