Re: SATA Conflict with PATA DMA

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Sat Apr 15 2006 - 19:33:15 EST

Bill Waddington wrote:
On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 16:42:22 UTC, in fa.linux.kernel you wrote:

Esben Stien wrote:
I'm having problems enabling DMA for my PATA HD.

hdparm -d1 /dev/hdb reports: HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted

Of course, I'm super user. Nothing is printed in dmesg.

I'm on linux-2.6.16 and motherboard is Fujitsu Siemens D1561 with an
ICH5. I also have a SATA hd in the computer and this only happens when
the SATA hd is there. If I remove the SATA HD, then I can enable DMA
for the PATA hd.
Disabled combined mode in BIOS.

If only that was possible on my fscking T43. *sigh*

The other way around is to make libata handle the PATA devices. I'm not sure if the support for that on combined mode is in mainline or if you need Alan's libata PATA patch for that?

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx