Re: get_user_pages ?

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Thu Apr 20 2006 - 15:33:49 EST

Mark Hounschell wrote:
For some reason (unknown to me) the VM_IO and even newer VM_PFNMAP
vm_flags are set when I use this call causing it to fail for me. I'm
currently using 2.6.16.9 on an x86 platform.

[...]

I'm not the author of any of this code so please gentle with me. Nor do
I have much of an understanding of the vm system. Any help in how this
task should really be accomplished, taken the stated limitations of the
pci card in mind, would be greatly appreciated. And any help as to what
would just make it work again would also be greatly appreciated. As I
stated above this all worked fine until the VM_PFNMAP bit was added to
the vm->flags and subsequently checked for in the get_user_pages call.

remap_pfn_range isn't the best API for someone who needs get_user_pages.
remap_pfn_range operates on the pfn level only, so underlying addresses
may not even have a struct page.

This area is going through some changes lately. If you want something to
quickly get things working, removing VM_PFNMAP from your vma flags should
work.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.