Re: strncpy (maybe others) broken on Alpha

From: Mathieu Chouquet-Stringer
Date: Fri Apr 21 2006 - 07:57:02 EST

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 06:41:49AM -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:
> I'll try upgrading from gcc-4.0 to gcc-4.1, and if/when that has no
> effect, I'll go looking for a later binutils in Debian's "unstable"
> tree (I've already had to go to the "testing" tree to get beyond gcc-3
> and binutils-2.15.X). Report to follow later today.

Ok.

> Item for consideration: what kind of optimization is enabled for your
> test case compile vs. what's being used for the kernel build? That's
> another variable we need to sort out. For what it's worth, I do *not*
> have CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE enabled: the comment about "watch out
> for broken compilers" was enough to scare me off while we're trying to
> chase this down.

Well I thought of this already and tried my test case without any flags
but -Wall, with -O2 and -Os. Same result. I also compiled my test case
with the options used by the kernel (which ATM isn't compiled with -Os),
same thing.

I've attached to this email a tarball of what I use to test the
compiler/binutils. It's faster than recompiling the whole kernel on
these slow machines!
--
Mathieu Chouquet-Stringer mchouque@xxxxxxx