Re: iptables is complaining with bogus unknown error 18446744073709551615

From: Alessandro Suardi
Date: Fri Apr 21 2006 - 20:06:13 EST

On 4/21/06, Nick Warne <nick.warne@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I also ask the same - this 'config' problem/option has been posted on
> the list previously, I believe.
>
> I was about to update my gateway box to 2.6.16.9 this weekend, and I
> do not build modules on that - so what do I need to do to ensure this
> xt_tcpudp is built in?
>
> Is '> make oldconfig' enough to pull this in?
>
> Nick

Hmm, let's see:

[asuardi@donkey src]$ grep tcpudp linux-2.6.17-rc1-git4/net/netfilter/Makefile
obj-$(CONFIG_NETFILTER_XTABLES) += x_tables.o xt_tcpudp.o

OK, I recall configuring this a while ago when still using FC3,
as I was bitten too by iptables complaining with the bogus
error code which I eventually tracked back to the XTABLES
stuff (no - make oldconfig didn't do it for me and I had to go
through the config options by hand enabling what I thought
was useful). That was since...

[asuardi@donkey src]$ grep -i XTABLES /fc3/usr/src/.config-2.6.1[0-7]*
/fc3/usr/src/.config-2.6.15-git10:CONFIG_NETFILTER_XTABLES=m
/fc3/usr/src/.config-2.6.15-git11:CONFIG_NETFILTER_XTABLES=m
/fc3/usr/src/.config-2.6.16-rc1-git4:CONFIG_NETFILTER_XTABLES=m
/fc3/usr/src/.config-2.6.16-rc2-git7:CONFIG_NETFILTER_XTABLES=m

And without any special tricks, my bittorrent box (which also
has peerguardian running) loads xt_tcpudp automatically,
as it should be...

[asuardi@donkey src]$ lsmod
Module Size Used by
xt_tcpudp 3200 0
iptable_filter 3072 1
ip_tables 13960 1 iptable_filter
x_tables 14468 2 xt_tcpudp,ip_tables
sd_mod 18000 2
usb_storage 35588 1
scsi_mod 101064 2 sd_mod,usb_storage
floppy 58052 0
ehci_hcd 30984 0
uhci_hcd 22792 0
psmouse 38280 0
parport_pc 28644 0
parport 26496 1 parport_pc
8139too 25920 0
8139cp 21824 0

> On 21/04/06, Maurice Volaski <mvolaski@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Thank you for your reply.
> >
> > >Hi Maurice.
> > >
> > >Didn't you report this bug already to bugzilla.netfilter.org (and maybe
> > >eben to the bugme.osdl.org)? Reporting a bug in three distinct places,
> > >even though it has been replied to at one place is not really going to
> > >use developer resources efficiently, don't you think?
> >
> > Sorry, to post it multiple times. Actually, two places netfilter and
> > then kernel bugzilla. I made the second report after it appeared
> > there'd would be no feedback to the first one and another kernel
> > revision had been issued with the problem still evident. (The first
> > feedback on the netfilter report crossed in the mail with the kernel
> > report.)
> >
> > >However, your problem seems to be something different. I suspect that
> > >all rules with '-p tcp' or '-p udp' don't work, whereas others do. You
> > >seem to be missing the xt_tcpudp.ko module, which implements that
> > >feature in 2.6.17-rcX kernels.
> >
> > Yep, that's it. How could one know that there is such a module called
> > xt_tcpudp.ko, especially since there is no corresponding config
> > option? Wouldn't up-to-date and complete documentation explain how to
> > set up the kernel config and indicate which modules should be loaded?
> >
> > On the other hand, shouldn't this module be loading automatically?

--alessandro

"Dreamer ? Each one of us is a dreamer. We just push it down deep because
we are repeatedly told that we are not allowed to dream in real life"
(Reinhold Ziegler)