Re: Linux 2.6.17-rc2

From: Alistair John Strachan
Date: Fri Apr 21 2006 - 20:53:41 EST

On Friday 21 April 2006 23:02, Andi Kleen wrote:
> On Friday 21 April 2006 18:40, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Alistair John Strachan wrote:
> > > Something in here (or -rc1, I didn't test that) broke WINE. x86-64
> > > kernel, 32bit WINE, works fine on 2.6.16.7. I'll check whether -rc1 had
> > > the same problem and work backwards, but just in case somebody has an
> > > idea..
> >
> > Nothing strikes me, but maybe Andi has a clue.
>
> NX for 32bit programs is enabled by default now. Does it
> work with noexec32=off?
>
> If it's that then it won't work with PAE kernels on i386 and NX
> capable machines neither - i just changed the default to be
> the same as 32bit, but unlike 32bit all x86-64 kernels use PAE
> and many of the systems have NX.
>
> If it's not that don't know what it could be. I actually even used a
> simple wine program with a post rc2 kernel and it worked for me.
>
> So it isn't anything fundamental. Maybe some bad interaction
> with copy protection again, but I don't remember changing ptrace
> at all this time.
>
> > Alistair, if you can do a "git bisect" on this one, that would help.
>
> If noexec32=off doesn't help please do.
> If noexec32 helps then it's likely a wine bug for using the wrong
> protections.

[alistair] 01:52 [~] uname -rm
2.6.17-rc2 x86_64

[alistair] 01:52 [~] cat /proc/cmdline
vga=794 root=/dev/sda1 quiet noexec32=off

[alistair] 01:51 [~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Warcraft III] wine
war3.exe -opengl
err:ole:CoCreateInstance apartment not initialised
fixme:advapi:SetSecurityInfo stub

Aaand wine suddenly starts working again. Looks like a bug in WINE; is there
any additional information required before I can file a bug report on this
one? Thanks.

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

Third year Computer Science undergraduate.