RE: Problems with EDAC coexisting with BIOS

From: Ong, Soo Keong
Date: Mon Apr 24 2006 - 10:34:16 EST

There are 4 occasions (that I aware of) during the OS times that could
possibly trigger SMI

1. Before OS USB driver disconnect SMI from USB controller
2. ACPI driver call software SMI once
3. SpeedStep using ACPI interface
4. Error (connected to SMI) happens

I know there are always ways to improve BIOS. Allow me to look at the OS
first so that OS can be robust enough to handle different
implementations.

1 and 2 will be gone early in booting. 3 could be handled appropriately
by OS because OS knows when SpeedStep ACPI interface is called and is
done. 4 will be gone after error interrupt re-connection done by OS
after phase 1 and 2.

I am not the one who prefer error handling stay in BIOS, but many people
have different opinion from me.

I logout now.