Re: [patch 3/3] use kref for bio

From: Akinobu Mita
Date: Wed Apr 26 2006 - 03:22:21 EST

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 10:18:13PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > > Let's _not_. It's extra overhead for no good reason.
> >
> > Completely agree. That goes for the other block layer kref patches as
> > well.
>
> I also agree, there's a reason I never tried to convert them in the past
> :)

kref has faster function for decrement refcount.

kref_put()
{

/*
* if current count is one, we are the last user and can release object
* right now, avoiding an atomic operation on 'refcount'
*/
if ((atomic_read(&kref->refcount) == 1) ||
(atomic_dec_and_test(&kref->refcount))) {
release(kref);
return 1;
}

If this is good one and the places where Al Viro pointed out really affect
performance, should we propagate this faster one by introducing helper
function like:

static inline int refcount_test(atomic_t *refcount)
{
return (atomic_read(refcount) == 1) || (atomic_dec_and_test(refcount));
}

and replace atomic_dec_and_test with it?