Re: can't compile kernels lately (2.6.16.5 and up)

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Wed Apr 26 2006 - 11:02:21 EST

On Wednesday 26 April 2006 09:39, Grzegorz JaÅkiewicz wrote:
> [...]
> incomplete type scripts/mod/file2alias.c:391: error: dereferencing
> pointer to incomplete type scripts/mod/file2alias.c:391: error:
> dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> scripts/mod/file2alias.c:391: error: dereferencing pointer to
> incomplete type scripts/mod/file2alias.c:392: error: dereferencing
> pointer to incomplete type scripts/mod/file2alias.c:392: error:
> dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> scripts/mod/file2alias.c:392: error: dereferencing pointer to
> incomplete type scripts/mod/file2alias.c:392: error: dereferencing
> pointer to incomplete type scripts/mod/file2alias.c:392: error:
> dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> scripts/mod/file2alias.c:394: error: dereferencing pointer to
> incomplete type scripts/mod/file2alias.c:394: error: dereferencing
> pointer to incomplete type scripts/mod/file2alias.c:394: error:
> dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> scripts/mod/file2alias.c:394: error: dereferencing pointer to
> incomplete type scripts/mod/file2alias.c:394: error: dereferencing
> pointer to incomplete type scripts/mod/file2alias.c:398: error:
> dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> scripts/mod/file2alias.c:399: error: dereferencing pointer to
> incomplete type scripts/mod/file2alias.c:401: error: dereferencing
> pointer to incomplete type scripts/mod/file2alias.c:402: error:
> dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> scripts/mod/file2alias.c:404: error: dereferencing pointer to
> incomplete type scripts/mod/file2alias.c:405: error: dereferencing
> pointer to incomplete type scripts/mod/file2alias.c:407: error:
> dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> scripts/mod/file2alias.c:408: error: dereferencing pointer to
> incomplete type scripts/mod/file2alias.c:410: error: dereferencing
> pointer to incomplete type scripts/mod/file2alias.c:411: error:
> dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> scripts/mod/file2alias.c:413: error: dereferencing pointer to
> incomplete type scripts/mod/file2alias.c:414: error: dereferencing
> pointer to incomplete type scripts/mod/file2alias.c:416: error:
> dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> scripts/mod/file2alias.c:417: error: dereferencing pointer to
> incomplete type scripts/mod/file2alias.c:419: error: dereferencing
> pointer to incomplete type scripts/mod/file2alias.c:420: error:
> dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> scripts/mod/file2alias.c:422: error: dereferencing pointer to
> incomplete type scripts/mod/file2alias.c:423: error: dereferencing
> pointer to incomplete type scripts/mod/file2alias.c: In function
> 'handle_moddevtable':
>scripts/mod/file2alias.c:515: error: invalid application of 'sizeof'
>to incomplete type 'struct input_device_id'
>make[2]: *** [scripts/mod/file2alias.o] Error 1
>make[1]: *** [scripts/mod] Error 2
>make: *** [scripts] Error 2
>

>any hints ? I can see that file2alias.c is using kernel-only includes,
>there might be something missing to make it work (this is a hack, and

This has a slight taste of a bzip2 error. As I'm instantly running
2.6.16.9, and have .11 ready for a reboot, I've not encountered any
such with my compiles here, but after having been burnt a couple of
times, I now get the .gz files to src the stuff and have not had that
sort of thing happen since. YMMV of course, but its one suggestion of
something to try.