IOAPIC (?) problems on a VIA K8T800 system

From: Nicholas Miell
Date: Fri Apr 28 2006 - 19:09:21 EST

Randomly, my VIA K8T800-based system will stop receiving all interrupts
(the columns in /proc/interrupts stop incrementing) from either the SATA
controller or all of the UHCI controllers (IRQs 16 or 18, respectively).

AFAICT, booting with noapic makes this go away, but since I can't
reliably reproduce it, I don't know for sure if that in fact works
around the problem.

Removing and then reloading the driver module (or using sysfs to
unbind/bind the devices) makes the problem temporarily go away.

This is with the latest FC5 kernel (kernel-2.6.16-1.2096_FC5) on an SMP
AMD64 system, but it's been doing this occasionally on every kernel I've
used for quite some time now.

--
Nicholas Miell <nmiell@xxxxxxxxxxx>