Re: make O="<dir>" install; output not relocated; 2.6.16.11(kbuild)

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw
Date: Sat Apr 29 2006 - 03:08:38 EST

On Fri, 2006-04-28 10:00:47 -0700, Linda Walsh <lkml@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > The modules_install target uses O= for its _input_ files (that is,
> > for the readily compiled modules) and outputs to
> > $(INSTALL_MOD_PATH)/lib/modules/$VERSION/ . So you may want to set
> > $(INSTALL_MOD_PATH) in the same way as you've set V= or O= before.
> >
> > If you're trying to prepare something to be copied over to a target
> > system, the tar-pkg, targz-pkg and tarbz2-pkg targets may be exactly
> > what you're searching for.
> >
> Quite possibly. What about an installed kernel (apart from the
> modules)? Will the kernel image and map, etc, get installed into
> the "INSTALL_MOD_PATH" as well? It doesn't sound, intuitively,

`make modules_install' will never ever end up installing the kernel
image or the System.map or any other architecture-specific boot
images. It'll install the modules, nothing more.

The packaging scripts OTOH will of course also take that stuff.

> to be so from the environment variable name.
> > It's maybe a bit misleading, but `modules_install' isn't a compilation
> > run, it's an installation run. O= was ment to hold all
> > compiled/generated objects, but to have a working installation, you
> > need to break out of that (or have INSTALL_MOD_PATH set.)
>
> Fair enough, but I'm more interested in where to specify
> the target location of the installed kernel and System.map as
> I don't always have modules for a generated kernel, but usually
> (near 100% :-)) have an installable kernel image. For development,
> I could see it being useful to mount the target system's root in
> a local directory (like /mnt), then have the kernel build install
> to a target root of "/mnt".

Installing the kernel image is quite architecture specific; most
architectures use $(INSTALL_PATH), so this could be something like
/path/to/target_system/boot . Though they may also re-run lilo or
something like that, so it's possibly not what you actually want to
use.

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@xxxxxxxxxx . +49-172-7608481 _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg _ _ O