Re: Linux Kernel and Webservices

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Tue May 02 2006 - 02:41:37 EST

On Tue, 02 May 2006 11:13:38 +0500, Irfan Habib said:
> If DNS is not available then, I can access system directly via the IP
> address. Is it possible for a kernel level deamon to listen to some
> ports, inorder for inserting things directly into the kernel, via some
> remote machines?

As I said, the lack of DNS is just the *start* of your troubles. Things just
get worse once you start trying to do error handling and other similar issues.
For instance, how do you intend to secure this "insert things directly into
the kernel"?

You *really* want to do this in userspace - if nothing else, it's a lot easier
to develop and debug userspace (when a userspace program you're debugging
crashes, you get a gdb prompt rather than a kernel panic), and it shouldn't be
put in the kernel unless there's no reasonable way to do it in userspace.

This is certainly well into the category of "If you have to ask if it's possible,
you're nowhere near qualified to make it work"...