Re: Compiling C++ modules

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Tue May 02 2006 - 10:54:31 EST

Al Viro wrote:
On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 04:52:53PM +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:
static ssize_t do_sendfile(int out_fd, int in_fd, loff_t *ppos,
size_t count, loff_t max)
{
loff_t pos;
ssize_t retval;

/*
* Get input file, and verify that it is ok..
*/
light_file_ptr in_file(in_fd);

*snerk*
Good luck defining copying and conversion to file * for that puppy.

class light_file_ptr {
public:
explicit light_file_ptr(int fd)
{
_file = fget_light(fd, &_fput_needed);
}
~light_file_ptr()
{
fput_light(_file, _fput_needed);
}
bool valid() const
{
return _file != 0;
}
struct file *operator->() // allowed for libs :)
{
return _file;
}
private:
struct file *_file;
int _fput_needed;
};

struct inode *in_inode = in_file->dentry()->inode();

Lovely. Let's expose all fields as methods?

If you like. I won't insist.

if (!in_inode)
return -EINVAL;

BTW, that can't happen. Applies to the original as well.

I believe this bug is more visible when there is less code in the function.

// I'm assuming here that the default sendfile() returns -EINVAL
if (!ppos)
ppos = &in_file->f_pos;
else
if (!(in_file->mode() & FMODE_PREAD))
return -ESPIPE;

As opposed to ->readable() for checking FMODE_READ?

Forgot, sorry. I'll redo the patch.

light_file_ptr out_file(out_fd);
if (!out_file)
return -EBADF;

?

Sorry, !out_file.valid().

if (!max)
max = min(in_inode->i_sb->s_maxbytes, out_inode->i_sb->s_maxbytes);

While we are at it, that's the only place where in_inode and out_inode
are used. Also... how does one remember which of ->dentry, ->inode
and ->i_sb are methods and which are public fields?

I usually make all publics either methods (a class) or fields (a struct).

// now, with exceptions
static ssize_t do_sendfile(int out_fd, int in_fd, loff_t *ppos,
size_t count, loff_t max)
{
loff_t pos;

/*
* Get input file, and verify that it is ok..
*/
light_file_ptr in_file(in_fd);
in_file->verify_readable();

That assumes that error value returned in that case is the same everywhere.
It isn't.

Okay, in_file->verify_readable(EBADF); Yuck.

Thanks for the review.