Re: [RFC] kernel facilities for cache prefetching

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Tue May 02 2006 - 15:10:12 EST

Hi!

> SOC PROPOSAL
>
> Rapid linux desktop startup through pre-caching

Looks nice me...

> SCHEME/GOAL
> 2) kernel module to query the file cache
> - on loading: create /proc/filecache
> - setting up: echo "param value" > /proc/filecache
> - info query: cat /proc/filecache
> - sample sessions:
>
> # modprobe filecache
> $ cat /proc/filecache
> # file ALL
> # mask 0
> #
> # ino size cached status refcnt name
> 0 2929846 3181 D 1 /dev/hda1
> 81455 9 9 _ 1 /sbin/init
>
> $ echo "file /dev/hda1" > /proc/filecache
> $ cat /proc/filecache
> # file /dev/hda1
> # mask 0
> #
> # idx len
> 0 24
> 48 2
> 53 5

Could we use this instead of blockdev freezing/big suspend image
support? It should permit us to resume quickly (with small image), and
then do readahead. ... that will give us usable machine quickly, still
very responsive desktop after resume?

Pavel
--
Thanks for all the (sleeping) penguins.