Re: [RFC] kernel facilities for cache prefetching

From: Dave Jones
Date: Tue May 02 2006 - 18:03:51 EST

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 10:30:17AM +0200, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> one interesting thing that came out of the fedora readahead work is that
> most of the bootup isn't actually IO bound.

Here's another interesting datapoint.
A huge proportion of I/O done during bootup is _completely_ unnecessary.

Profiling just a few of the places that seemed to stall yielded some
lovely things, like cupsd reading in and parsing descriptions for
every printer ever known to man, even if there's no printer connected.
Or my favorite.. hald reloading and reparsing the same XML hardware description
files.. ~50 times, _each_.

Utterly insane.

(And these aren't Fedora specific problems btw, every distro shipping those
bits will have the same dumb behaviour [modulo versions])

Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk