Re: Reiserfsck dies

From: Sergey Vlasov
Date: Wed May 03 2006 - 13:56:46 EST

On Wed, 03 May 2006 16:56:11 +0200 Markus M_ller wrote:

> reiserfsck told me that I have to run --rebuild-tree to fix all errors.
> But this don't work (see below), I tried two times (every time I am
> waiting 28 hours).

Apparently you have a huge filesystem (374936503 blocks - about 1.5 TB,
if these are 4KB blocks). reiserfsck --rebuild-tree works by reading
every data block on the filesystem, finding blocks which look like
reiserfs tree nodes and rebuilding the tree from that nodes - so it
would take a long time, even if the volume was almost empty.

> If I mount the filesystem, there are no files in it.
> What can I do?

[skip]
> Pass 1 (will try to insert 423131 leaves):
> ####### Pass 1 #######
> Looking for allocable blocks .. Killed
[skip]
> Out of memory: Killed process 5622 (reiserfsck).

reiserfsck may need lots of memory (especially with such a huge FS) ...

> stacker:/# cat /proc/meminfo
> MemTotal: 512716 kB
> MemFree: 413660 kB
> Buffers: 20268 kB
> Cached: 47324 kB
> SwapCached: 0 kB
> Active: 19500 kB
> Inactive: 56656 kB
> HighTotal: 0 kB
> HighFree: 0 kB
> LowTotal: 512716 kB
> LowFree: 413660 kB
> SwapTotal: 0 kB
> SwapFree: 0 kB

... and you have only 512 MB with no swap. Try to add some swap space -
then reiserfsck might eventually complete.

AFAIK, the only way to recover reiserfs after --rebuild-tree has been
attempted is to run "reiserfsck --rebuild-tree" to completion.