Re: [Devel] Re: [RFC] Virtualization steps

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed May 03 2006 - 16:34:57 EST

Kirill Korotaev wrote:
Bill,

So I would detailed it like this:
- freeze VPS

when the VM stops providing services it's down as far as I'm concerned
please, note, that connections are not dropped, new connections are not responded with RESET and when VM is migrated all the clients are serviced as if nothing has happened. From client point of view there is only a small delay in servicing, but not a real downtime (when clients are rejected). Maybe due to these some of people call it zero down-time. Though from technical POV this is not the best term for sure. It is better to call it checkpointing/restore or live migration.

With that I can agree. The argument that it's not down it's just unavailable isn't convincing. I think "live migration" is a really good description of what takes place, thanks for the nomenclature.
--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)