Re: assert/crash in __rmqueue() when enabling CONFIG_NUMA

From: Dave Hansen
Date: Fri May 05 2006 - 10:34:03 EST

On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 09:55 -0400, Bob Picco wrote:
> - if (!page_is_buddy(buddy, order))
> + if (page_in_zone_hole(buddy))
> + break;
> + else if (page_zonenum(buddy) != page_zonenum(page))
> + break;
> + else if (!page_is_buddy(buddy, order))
> break; /* Move the buddy up one level. */

The page_zonenum() checks look good, but I'm not sure I understand the
page_in_zone_hole() part. If a page is in a hole in a zone, it will
still have a valid mem_map entry, right? It should also never have been
put into the allocator, so it also won't ever be coalesced.

I'm a bit confused. :(

BTW, I like the idea of just aligning HIGHMEM's start because it has no
runtime cost. Buuuuut, it is still just a shift and compare of the two
page->flags, which should already be (or will soon anyway be) in the
cache.

-- Dave