Re: Remove silly messages from input layer.

From: Martin Bligh
Date: Fri May 05 2006 - 16:06:21 EST

Go buy a new laptop because someone else has a utopian view on how hardware should be?

You mean deciding not to silently ignore errors is having a utopian view? Are we talking about Linux or kernel32.dll?

When a user can't do *anything* about it, it's useless, and serves
as nothing but a cause for concern. "Oh no, is my laptop dying?".

Laptops come with Windows XP pre-installed for those users, what was your problem again?

Sorry, but these comparisons to Windows are just childish.

Linux is not obliged to spit out meaningless, unhelpful error messages,
and be as user-hostile as possible. It's not a good trait. The current
error message is wrong ... if we can come up with something useful to
print, then great. But throwing 'Windows' around is not useful, and
neither are crappy, incorrect errors.

M.