Re: High load average on disk I/O on 2.6.17-rc3

From: Jason Schoonover
Date: Sat May 06 2006 - 00:44:07 EST

Hi Robert,

There are, this is the relevant output of the process list:

4659 pts/6 Ss 0:00 -bash
4671 pts/5 R+ 0:12 cp -a test-dir/ new-test
4676 ? D 0:00 [pdflush]
4679 ? D 0:00 [pdflush]
4687 pts/4 D+ 0:01 hdparm -t /dev/sda
4688 ? D 0:00 [pdflush]
4690 ? D 0:00 [pdflush]
4692 ? D 0:00 [pdflush]

This was when I was copying a directory and then doing a performance test with
hdparm in a separate shell. The hdparm process was in [D+] state and
basically waited until the cp was finished. During the whole thing there
were up to 5 pdflush processes in [D] state.

The 5 minute load average hit 8.90 during this test.

Does that help?

Jason