Re: Add a "enable" sysfs attribute to the pci devices to allow userspace (Xorg) to enable devices without doing foul direct access

From: Jon Smirl
Date: Sat May 06 2006 - 09:10:27 EST

On 5/6/06, Krzysztof Halasa <khc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Jon Smirl" <jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> The minimal vga driver combined with new_id scheme is very simple, it
> works on older kernels, it does not create a new API and it tracks
> ownership of the hardware state.

But it works only with VGAs (I, for example, use setpci-alike things
with non-VGA cards but it's dangerous - who knows if the BARs are set
correctly if the device wasn't enabled by the kernel).

Substitute vga with the name of whatever class of device you are
working on and build it a minimal driver for it. The technique is
generic.

--
Krzysztof Halasa

--