Re: High load average on disk I/O on 2.6.17-rc3

From: bert hubert
Date: Sat May 06 2006 - 19:03:04 EST

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 10:10:19AM -0700, Jason Schoonover wrote:

> Whenever I copy any large file (over 500GB) the load average starts to slowly
> rise and after about a minute it is up to 7.5 and keeps on rising (depending
> on how long the file takes to copy). When I watch top, the processes at the
> top of the list are cp, pdflush, kjournald and kswapd.

Load average is a bit of an odd metric in this case, try looking at the
output from 'vmstat 1', and especially the 'id' column. As long as that
doesn't rise, you don't have an actual problem.

The number of processes in the runqueue doesn't really tell you anything
about how much CPU you are using.

Having said that, I think there might be a problem to be solved.

Bert

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com Open source, database driven DNS Software
http://netherlabs.nl Open and Closed source services