Re: sched_clock() uses are broken

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Sun May 07 2006 - 09:00:45 EST

Russell King wrote:
On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 10:33:41PM +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:

No, sched_clock is fine to be used in CPU scheduling choices, which are
heuristic anyway (although strictly speaking, even using it for timeslicing
within a single CPU could cause slight unfairness).

Except maybe if it rolls over every 178 seconds, which is my original
point. Maybe someone could comment on my initial patch sent 5 days
ago?

Well yes that's true. I meant the "sched_clock interface as defined". Now
there are obviously issues (including the one you raised) that makes the
sched_clock interface unreasonable to implement.

I stand by my first reply to your comment WRT the API. Seems like most of
the rest of the debate was unrelated or concerning implementation details.
kernel/sched.c patches implementing the new API would get an ack from me.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.