Re: Add a "enable" sysfs attribute to the pci devices to allow userspace (Xorg) to enable devices without doing foul direct access

From: Kyle Moffett
Date: Mon May 08 2006 - 10:26:43 EST

On May 7, 2006, at 09:12:01, Pavel Machek wrote:
It has everything to do with the 'enable' file. The 'enable' file lets you change the state of the hardware without an ownership mechanism. Other device users will not be notified of the state change. Since the other users can't be sure of the state of the hardware when they are activated, they will have to reload their state into the hardware on every activation.

you seem to miss the fact that this can be done now without the enable flag, setpci can be used to disable the BARs, again the enable flag doesn't change that....

...well, when you launch setpci, you are firmly in 'unsupported' land. While 'enable' sounds like something where users expect it to be supported.

*Especially* since there are a number of users (including myself) who have tendencies to go wandering around sysfs tinkering with the available values. Not having seen this thread, I would have had no problem doing "echo -n 0 >enable" on some device thinking that it was a fairly standard way to turn off the power to my soundcard when I'm not using it, and likely result in a kernel panic because I suddenly disabled the BARs on the device out from under the driver.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett