Re: 2.6.17-rc3 -- SMP alternatives: switching to UP code

From: Rene Herman
Date: Wed May 10 2006 - 07:41:43 EST

Gerd Hoffmann wrote:

Rene Herman wrote:

Should I be seeing this "SMP alternatives" thing on a !CONFIG_SMP
kernel? It does say 0k, but something is apparently being done at
runtime still. Why?

The UP kernel has empty alternatives tables (as you've noticed), thus
the code doesn't do anything. Nevertheless it probably makes sense to
add a few #ifdef CONFIG_SMP lines to avoid confusing people and safe a
few bytes ...

Okay, thanks. Yes, I agree such would make sense.

Rene.