Re: LPC bus in a geode sc1200

From: Carlos Ojea Castro
Date: Thu May 11 2006 - 09:15:39 EST

On 5/10/06, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 09:55:47AM +0200, Carlos Ojea Castro wrote:
> Thank you very much for your reply, Len.
> I will also have an FPGA (I think it will be on port 0x1400 or so). I
> am writing to LPC using 'outb' like this: outb (data, port);
> So I see an I/O write on the LPC bus, that is: 2 bytes for address and
> 1 byte for data (it tooks one microsecond per transfer).
>
> To speed up things, I wish to transmit more than 1 byte for data in
> each transfer (if possible).
> Accordingly with page 194 of the sc1200 processor data book, it is
> also possible to do a "Bus Master Memory Write" to transmit 1,2 or 4
> bytes.
> Do you know how can I make a "Bus Master Memory Write" to the LPC?

Well I know we don't do that. We have very little data, just board
status information from various places on the board. LPC does support
doing DMA, which I believe is done in the same way it was done on ISA at
least as far as the software is concerned. How to implement DMA for LPC
in the FPGA I have no idea. The LPC specifications would probably tell
you. I imagine it involves setting up a DMA buffer in RAM (in the first
16MB probably) and then sending a command to the FPGA telling it to do a
DMA transfer from that memory location using the LPC DMA commands.

Len Sorensen

Well at this moment, using the low address byte to transmit data, I
can transmit 100.000 bytes in about 63 milliseconds, maybe it is
enough. Will try DMA anyway...
Thank you very much!

Regards,
Carlos