Re: network freeze with nforce-A939 integrated rhine card

From: David Lang
Date: Sat May 13 2006 - 04:26:41 EST

On Fri, 12 May 2006, David Lang wrote:

On Fri, 12 May 2006, Roger Luethi wrote:

On Thu, 11 May 2006 22:59:44 -0700, David Lang wrote:
I haven't had time to go back and find where is started (my prior kernel
was 2.6.15-rc7), but with 2.6.17-rc1/2/3/4 I've been running into a
problem where when transfering large amounts of data (trying to ftp a TB

"where is started" sounds as if it used to work at some point. In your
second posting, however, you note that the problem goes back at least to
2.6.13. So are there any kernels known not to exhibit the problem you
described?

when I posted this origionally I thought it was new in 2.6.17-rc, however since my testing with older kernels hasn't found me a working one yet I suspect that other factors have been involved with makeing it work.

these failures have been on multi-gig files ftp'd from the raid array on my machine to the raid array on the replacement machine. In the past I've sucessfully transfered similar sized files to/from my tivo (slow network), my laptop (slow drive), and smaller sets of files to single drives on other systems (7200rpm drives, but not to arrays).

as I type this I'm starting a test going from a single drive on this machine to the raid array on the remote machine to transfer ~84G of data. My suspicion is that this is going to work.

I just confirmed this, I was able to transfer 84G with no trouble starting from /dev/hdb, but starting from /dev/md0 the nic hung in less then 3G

a good boot logs
eth0: VIA Rhine II at 0xe8121000, 00:11:5b:f4:14:a3, IRQ 17.
eth0: MII PHY found at address 1, status 0x7869 advertising 05e1 Link cde1.

root@david:~# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Speed: 100Mb/s
Duplex: Full