Re: [RFT] major libata update

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Mon May 15 2006 - 20:03:45 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:
Tejun Heo wrote:
Jeff Garzik wrote:
Tomasz Torcz wrote:
On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 01:00:06PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
After much development and review, I merged a massive pile of libata
patches from Tejun Heo and Albert Lee. This update contains the
following major libata

Any plans to merge http://home-tj.org/wiki/index.php/Sil_m15w ? Or
maybe it's merged already?
Seagate firmware update seems to be available only for OEMs, so this
quirk is pretty helpful for end users.

Its a question of staging. This still lives in the 'sii-m15w' branch of libata-dev.git, but if we throw too many _classes_ of changes into the same big lump, then it becomes much more difficult to discern which changes caused which failures.

Since sata_sil has seen several changes, and since the sii-m15w problems are so difficult to diagnose properly, its easier to separate that out.

Are you planning on merging sil_m15w workaround?

Yes, but after 2.6.18.

Cool.

FYI, from the first time it was submitted (last summer) till 2.6.16, it took very little effort to maintain it. The current big update would necessitate some changes to it but I don't think it will be too much work. My experience says m15w doesn't add too much maintenance overhead.

Its actively maintained in the 'sii-m15w' branch of libata-dev.git.

I have been maintaining my own. :) BTW, with 2.6.16, m15_cxt has to move from qc->private_data to ap->private_data.

Also, what's the merge plan for hotplug/PM? Together into 2.6.18? Or are we looking further down?

Hotplug is reasonable for 2.6.18, but after that its getting a bit much. We need to have some reasonable testing points in the midst of all this development :) I'm happy to maintain an upstream-2.6.19 branch for such things, though. I use tiered branches anyway.

Good enough for me. I want to see hotplug in 2.6.18 but link/PM stuff can definitely wait for 2.6.19.

--
tejun