Re: 2.6.17-rc4-mm1 panic on boot

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue May 16 2006 - 13:30:58 EST

Leopold Gouverneur wrote:

This means kinit couldn't find a name-to-number mapping for the string
/dev/hda8. However, you said you tried vanilla rc4 with the same
result, and vanilla rc4 doesn't use klibc.
Sorry for my silliness, actually rc4 boot OK
This means hda8 simply isn't discovered on your system, which probably
means hda isn't discovered. This typically is an issue with your
kernel configuration, but it's not always.
yes that was my problem: rc4-mm1 need CONFIG_SCSI_PATA_AMD=y
which -rc4 don't for my nForce2 ide controller.

Excellent, glad to hear that it was that simple.

-hpa