[patch 00/50] genirq: -V3

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue May 16 2006 - 20:12:46 EST

This is version 3 of the genirq patch-queue, against 2.6.17-rc4. This
patch-queue improves the generic IRQ layer to be truly generic, by
adding various abstractions and features to it, without impacting
existing functionality. It was written by Thomas Gleixner (who has done
most of the heavy-lifting) and me. We reused many bits of code and many
concepts from Russell King's ARM IRQ layer.

The ARM architecture has been updated to make use of this improved
generic IRQ layer. The new code also enables a cleaner and simpler
implementation of lowlevel irq-chip details, chained handlers and other
highlevel irq-flow handlers.

The patch-queue consists of 50 individual patches. The queue begins with
a handful of cleanups, to make sure we are adding features to a cleaned
up codebase. Then come the features that dont need the irq-chip
abstractions but are necessary extensions, then comes the core irq-chip
abstraction (genirq-core), features that rely on it, and finally, the
conversion of the ARM architecture to the new generic IRQ layer.

The full patch-queue can also be downloaded from:

http://redhat.com/~mingo/generic-irq-subsystem/

It has been build-tested with allyesconfig, and booted on x86, x86_64
and various ARM platforms. It has been build-tested on all the 50 ARM
platforms. Current ARM testing results are at:

http://www.linutronix.de/index.php?page=46

Many thanks to the ARM developers who ran the initial patches on their
ARM boards and helped tracking down initial migration bugs.

Review suggestions for past iterations of this code from Andrew Morton,
Benjamin Herrenschmidt and Christoph Hellwig were incorporated in this
version.

Comments, suggestions welcome,

Ingo, Thomas