Re: replacing X Window System !

From: linux cbon
Date: Wed May 17 2006 - 08:40:57 EST

--- Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx a écrit :
> On Wed, 17 May 2006 13:47:22 +0200, linux cbon said:
>
> If it isn't backward compatible, people won't use
> it. X may suck,
> but it doesn't suck hard enough that people will
> abandon all their
> currently mostly-working software.

If we have a new window system, shall all applications
be rewritten ?

> Actually, you've proved the opposite. Consider if
> the kernel had *already*
> included some universal window system (we'll call it
> W). At that point, you
> can't easily write an X, Y, or Z if you don't like
> W. If anything, the
> *current* W (which happens to be called X11) is
> *too* friendly with the kernel
> already - witness all the headaches dealing with DRM
> and 'enable' attributes
> and other hoops things have to jump through.
>
> If anything, there should be even *less* kernel
> support for graphics.
> That way, writing a Y or Z (or improving X) is
> easier to do without
> destabilizing the kernel.

My idea is that the kernel should include universal
graphical support.
And then we would NOT need ANY window system AT ALL.
We wouldnt have 2 os (kernel and X) at the same time
like now.
It would be faster, simpler, easier to manage etc.