RE: replacing X Window System !

From: alan
Date: Wed May 17 2006 - 13:46:00 EST

On Wed, 17 May 2006, David Schwartz wrote:

Would a pentium class machine even run firefox on windows?

I think there is something very wrong with how firefox manages it's page
rendering and scrolling. It certainly eats a ton of ram with whatever
it is doing.

My sister can testify that it's possible but there's really no point. She
has a P60 with 128MB of RAM (the max her mobo can take) and it takes about 2
minutes to launch firefox. She uses gmail, and it's basically unusable on
her machine. Almost once every day I send her another configuration for a
machine I recommend she should buy to end her suffering. She says she uses
her machine so little it's not worth it. I point out that she uses it so
little because it is useful for so little.

The P60s are just bad to begin with. That is the one where the floating point error appeared.

Gmail requires a current browser. To support it you need a machine made in this century, not the last.

Just because Linux will run on that machine does not mean it is a good idea.

But we have gone WAY off topic for the kernel list.

--
"Waiter! This lambchop tastes like an old sock!" - Sheri Lewis