Re: replacing X Window System !

From: Gábor Lénárt
Date: Wed May 17 2006 - 13:51:44 EST

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 04:53:35PM +0200, linux cbon wrote:
> --- Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
> > And when the windowing system crashes it'll take the
> > kernel down with it - ouch.
>
> It is already happening today with X, because :
> X runs as root - ouch.
> X can write into kernel memory - ouch.
> X can mess with clocks - ouch.
> X can mess with PCI bus - ouch.

What? Check out Xnest or Xephyr, they won't mess up anything :) Sure you
will note here that they require another X server running on, but my point
is that you SHOULD NOT confuse X in whole with an x _implementation_ like
Xorg of XFree86 and even the OS counts they runs on. Sure, you can write an
X server (or port/modify eg Xorg) which does not require root privs, and
others. So you don't want to create a new windowing system if the only
problem you have is about the implementation done by Xorg and/or Linux
kernel, etc etc ...

--
- Gábor