Re: Stealing ur megahurts (no, really)

From: Lexington Luthor
Date: Fri May 19 2006 - 11:06:58 EST

Panagiotis Issaris wrote:
An easier way might be to use a system emulator like Qemu.
You can specify the amount of memory the emulated system has,
and if you do not use the kernel accelerating module (kqemu)
it slows down considerably.

Of course, it would be nicer if you could actually specify performance
levels and an issue with this approach is that it does not uniformly
scale down performance: I think IO emulation performance is a lot worse
then CPU emulation performance (in Qemu).

I have in the past used Bochs to precisely control the exact speed at which I run an emulated machine. Though this was for some DOS app which insisted on a ~20Mhz CPU, there is no reason this would not work on a Linux system emulated by Bochs.

http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

Regards,
LL