Re: Linux Kernel Source Compression

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Mon May 22 2006 - 17:04:41 EST

Alistair John Strachan wrote:

I would, but if it's a "valid concern" that gzip is a few hundred KB larger, and the community would not graciously receive such work, there's not much point, is there? :-)

Seriously, though, if I understand gzip correctly, it uses deflate/zlib internally. Why, in that case, does /bin/gzip not (dynamically) link against libz? If a first step was fixing that, a second could be linking dynamically against libbz2 and 'liblzma', and making it all compile-time configurable.

Because gzip predates zlib...

-hpa